Hua Hin is often described as a town similar to Chiang Mai but near the beach. If you need a little sand ‘n sun in your life and want to travel round trip from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin for a budget friendly 1,700 baht (only $55 USD), then this VIP Bus guide is for you.
Chiang Mai to Hua Hin: Sombat Tour VIP Bus
VIP bus tickets from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin can be purchased at the Chiang Mai Arcade Bus Station (Terminal 3) located on Kaeo Narawat Road on the northeast outskirts of the Old City. The Sombat Tour Bus counter sells one way VIP bus tickets for 851 baht ($27 USD) and they can only be purchased with cash. Tickets should be purchased at least a day in advance, especially during holiday or weekend travel. Return tickets must be bought at the terminal of departure.
View Chiang Mai Arcade Bus Station in a larger map
The bus ride from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin is approximately twelve and a half hours long. Departing times of Sombat Tour Bus from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin are as follows:
Sombat VIP Tour Bus Schedule: Chiang Mai to Hua Hin
|Departing Chiang Mai Arcade Bus Station (Terminal 3)||8:00am||6:15pm||7:30pm|
|Arriving at Hua Hin Bus Station||8:30pm||6:45am||8:00am|
Pros of the Sombat Tour VIP Bus
- There are several food stalls that sell hot meals at Terminal 3 (unlike Terminal 2 across the street)
- Mini convenience shops sell snacks, toiletries, and simple travel gear
- The bus left on time and arrived at destination on schedule
- Snacks, drinks, blankets, AND neck pillows were provided on the bus
- Bus seats lean back and leg and foot rests come up for a relatively comfortable sleeping position
- Strong air conditioning (recommend wearing long pants/socks/light jacket)
- The bus stopped at a nice rest stop. The bathrooms have European toilets, toilet paper, and hand soap. The neighboring convenience store has a huge selection of snacks, drinks, and also sells hot meals.
Cons of the Sombat Tour VIP Bus
- Chiang Mai Arcade Bus Station Terminal 3 bathrooms are equipped with squat toilets, charge three baht for toilet paper, and do not have hand soap
- The snacks provided on the VIP bus are pre-packaged sugary baked goods, which are not filling and results in a sugar high
- The bus isle is very narrow and difficult to walk through with bags
- There is no luggage compartment underneath the bus. Bags must fit in the overhead storage space above your seat, which has about a ten inch clearance
The bus ride ends at the new Hua Hin Bus Station on Petchkasem Road, located off the main highway (Route 4). It is a small building in good condition, with an air-conditioned waiting area that sells small snacks and has nice bathrooms. There is a tuk-tuk station on the corner of the main road if you need a ride to your final destination.
View Hua Hin Bus Stations in a larger map
Return tickets from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai can be purchased at the Hua Hin Bus Station. Bring cash and purchase them in advance if possible, especially if you are traveling on weekends or on holidays. Departure times for the Sombat Tour VIP bus are as follows, and also take about twelve and a half hours:
Sombat VIP Tour Bus Schedule: Hua Hin to Chiang Mai
|Departing from Hua Hin Bus Station||8:00am||5:00pm||6:00pm|
|Arriving at Chiang Mai Arcade Bus Station (Terminal 3)||8:30pm||5:30am||6:30am|
Overall Impression of the VIP Bus from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin
Our experience with Sombat Tour VIP Bus was excellent. We choose to do the overnight route, and with the help of a sleeping aid, the twelve and a half hour ride passed by fairly quickly. We were comfortable in our seats, had enough room for our luggage, and really liked the condition of the rest stop we went to in the middle of the night. If you have time to spare and are physically able to sit down for over twelve hours, consider this cheap alternative to flying from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin.